Vanessa Guckel, director of CIHUAH, a brand dedicated to architecture and fashion design. She is an architect by the National School of Architecture in Strasbourg, France. She also studied at the School of Architecture and the Faculty of Fine Arts in Seville, Spain. She has worked for several reputable architectural firms in France and Mexico.
In 2010, began a joint investigation between fashion and architecture. She has taught the course of Fashion and Architecture at the school's Center for Design, Film and Television in Mexico and has been a thesis judge at the Institute of Higher Studies in Fashion, in Casa Francia.
From this theoretical research, began in 2013 the project with the clothing line. CIHUAH means 'women' in Nahuatl language. It returns a reference to the origins of Mexico, a tribute to the creative woman at a craft tradition, the ancient knowledge and culture in the process of extinction.
CIHUAH takes up the design and pattern of the Indian attire respecting their basic geometry but making it contemporary clothing. The aim of the brand is to provide basic items, iconic pieces, classics reinvented and trend items. A basic wardrobe composed as the little black dress, but also reassessing the garment giving new uses and functions, all with a touch of design.
All pieces are always designed with the obsession of the straight line and perfection. It is an exercise of confrontation between the line and the human figure. Vanessa Guckel creates clean lines with a sophisticated vision in white and black. She use the theory and techniques taught in the schools of architecture, and apply them to a smaller scale, of the garment. She use geometry, proportion, aesthetics, construction-deconstruction, symmetry-asymmetry, balance-imbalance.
CIHUAH's ambition is to propose and investigate, through experimentation, a theoretical discourse on a new way of living the human body. Approaching to fashion design with architectural elements which make our physical space.
CIHUAH was published in the Directory of Mexican Design presented at the MOMA in New York. The firm has presented a special piece of concrete in collaboration with the architect Pablo Kobayashi - The Concrete Dress CPK-001 - in Siqueiros Museum, Mexico.
CIHUAH ®, a French Young Contemporary Designer brand based in Mexico City, twice Vogue Who’s on Next runner up and winner of Quorum Design Award, and published in the most important fashion editorials like Vogue Mexico, Vogue Italy, Elle Mexico, Harper's Bazaar Español, Instyle Mexico etc.
CIHUAH is a concept. A lifestyle. The connection between the concept of fashion and architecture.
- PRIVATE SHOWROOM. Calle del Artículo 123 #116, Int. 208. CP 06000. Mexico City.
- SAKS FIFTH AVENUE MEXICO. Centro Comercial Santa Fe. Av. Vasco de Quiroga 3800. CP 05109. Mexico City.
- CAÑAMIEL. Park Plaza Santa Fe. Av. Javier Barros Sierra 540. CP 01219. Mexico City.
- LORENZA. Av. Tamaulipas 161. Local 2. Hipódromo Condesa. CP 06170. Mexico City.
- MULIER. Av. Prado Norte 531. Lomas de Chapultepec. CP 11000. Mexico City.
- CLEEO STUDIO. Calle Colima 322. Col. Roma Norte. CP 06700. Mexico City.
- LUXURY AVENUE CANCÚN. Zona Hotelera, Blvd Kukulcán km 13. CP 77500. Cancun, Mexico.
- MISS R BOUTIQUE. Camino de la Plaza, Col. Pedregal. CP 23450. Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur.
- EMPATHY STORE. Av. Montevideo 3183, Lomas de Providencia. CP 44647. Guadalajara, Jalisco.
- COLECTIVO INTERNATIONAL. Houston. USA.